10/26/10

Dear Pink Floyd

It is with a heavy heart I write this blog. You have been on the very top of my best concert ever list for the past 5949 days. For those of you who care, that would take us back to July 12th, 1994. The night when the Division Bell tour arrived at Soldier Field in Chicago. Little did I know the impact this night would have on me. I remember the night like it was yesterday.
Anyways, I am hear to tell you that you've been knocked down to #2 on the list. The show I saw last night which featured Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem has replaced you at #1 concert ever. I've given this a lot of thought and tried to come up with reasons not put it above you, but I can't do it. No one is ever on top forever.
There are many reasons why I feel it is fitting that this show is very suitable as a replacement.

1. From top to bottom both with Hot Chip and LCD, best set list ever
2. Never have I experienced such raw energy and fun loving crowd
3. The theatrics were just amazing and knowing James Murphy who puts a lot of Pink Floyd innuendo in his lyrics, the theatrics were a subtle tribute to Pink Floyd IMO
4. Where I am in my life, middle aged and enjoying and participating in this show, I think I needed it
5. It took a cutting edge English band to complement a cutting edge American band to dethrone you
6. I can only imagine this is similar to what the UFO days were like in the 60s
7. There was a lot of drug use at this show
8. This is likely the last time I'll see LCD Soundsystem since Murphy plans to retire the band after this tour (similar to the state Pink Floyd has become)
9. I had very high expectations for this concert (something I never do) and it exceeded them

So I thank you for being so hard to dethrone for 16yrs, 3 months and 13 days. Now Pitchshifter and I differ on our top concert ever.

Vids below.

This was LCDs opening song... Dance Yrslf Clean... what a way to start and it didn't slow down



So glad LCD played this song. Here's "You Wanted a Hit" from the show.



Here's the opener for Hot Chip - And I Was A Boy From School

3 comments:

  1. That's a very bold statement. I understand that the Top cannot be the top forever. The Floyd show was the greatest show I have ever seen and will stay with me for the rest of my days. Simply for the fact that was my first concert! Goodbye Cruel List....you have been demoted to number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolfarelli, this by no means says it won't stay with me forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My My My! I did not think it would happen. Hirsch said he had some soul searching to do after this show. Pink Floyd still remains my #1 after all these years but this show, does rank very high on the best shows I have witnessed in my life thus far.

    ReplyDelete